Welcome! If you are a first time visitor we hope that you will find church members welcoming and encouraging, and know that you will always feel welcome to attend again. We currently have the following Sunday schedule.
8:30 – Early Service in Sanctuary
9:30 – Fellowship Hall Coffee and Conversation
9:45 – Sunday School and Small Groups (Various Locations)
10:45 – Late Service in Sanctuary (Nursery provided)
Sermon titles will be posted on the calendar as they become available as well as seasonal special services.
Sunday School classes currently include
Pre-school – 3rd Grade
Submerge – 4th to 7th Grade
Youth – 8th thru 12th
Pastor Rev. Jeff Fugitt
Mission & Beliefs
At Cassville United Methodist Church, our mission is simply, “Making new disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.”
At Cassville United Methodist Church, our vission statement is, “We are a PRAYING church:
GROWING in our discipleship,
REACHING our community and the world with the love and grace of Jesus Christ
We believe that there is a single, triune God. That is, one God in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
We believe in the mystery of salvation through Jesus Christ. God became human in Jesus. Through His life, death, and resurrection, we were shown the redeeming love of God.
We believe that the Holy Spirit is God’s present activity in our lives. Examples of this are when God supports or comforts us, when He leads us, when he challenges us to mature us, or through the gifts that He has bestowed upon us (1 Corinthians 12:8-10).
We believe that God created human beings in God’s image.
We believe that humans can choose to accept or reject a relationship with God. We believe that all humans need to be in relationship with God in order to be fully human. When we sin, or turn our backs on God and God’s expectations for us, we break our relationship with God. Through God’s grace, we are restored and reunited with God, with creation, and with the persons God intended us to be.
We believe that the church is the body of Christ, an extension of Christ’s life and ministry in the world today. We believe that the mission of the church is to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. We believe that the church is “the communion of saints,” a community made up of all past, present, and future disciples of Christ. We believe that the church is called to worship God and to support those who participate in its life as they grow in faith.
We hold that the writers of the Bible were inspired, that they were filled with God’s Spirit as they wrote the truth to the best of their knowledge. We hold that God was at work in the process of canonization, during which only the most faithful and useful books were adopted as Scripture. We hold that the Holy Spirit works today in our thoughtful study of the Scriptures, especially as we study them together, seeking to relate the old words to life’s present realities.
We believe in the coming kingdom of God, the coming reign of God in human hearts and in all human affairs.
We believe in and recognize two sacraments: Holy Baptism and Holy Communion.
Bearing in mind the basic beliefs we have (as mentioned above), we have several creeds through which we convey some of our beliefs. Our Social Creed is one of the ways through which we communicate some of our beliefs:
We believe in God, Creator of the world; and in Jesus Christ, the Redeemer of creation. We believe in the Holy Spirit, through whom we acknowledge God’s gifts, and we repent of our sin in misusing these gifts to idolatrous ends.
We affirm the natural world as God’s handiwork and dedicate ourselves to its preservation, enhancement, and faithful use by humankind.
We joyfully receive for ourselves and others the blessings of community, sexuality, marriage, and the family.
We commit ourselves to the rights of men, women, children, youth, young adults, the aging, and people with disabilities; to improvement of the quality of life; and to the rights and dignity of all persons.
We believe in the right and duty of persons to work for the glory of God and the good of themselves and others and in the protection of their welfare in so doing; in the rights to property as a trust from God, collective bargaining, and responsible consumption; and in the elimination of economic and social distress.
We dedicate ourselves to peace throughout the world, to the rule of justice and law among nations, and to individual freedom for all people of the world.
We believe in the present and final triumph of God’s Word in human affairs and gladly accept our commission to manifest the life of the gospel in the world.
The present day church building had its beginning over 140 years ago. In 1836 the first Methodist Episcopal Circuit Rider, John N. Mitchell, was assigned to newly formed Barry County and established a station in 1844 in what was to become Cassville. In 1845 the newly established county court ordered that a town be created and thus Cassville was established and platted. Church members first met in each others homes and County Court house after it was build in 1854. It was reported that by 1860, the 300 or so residents had 3 church affiliations, a Masonic Lodge and 4 merchantile businesses. During the civil war most of southern Missouri, including Cassville, was the scene of continual conflicts with most property destroyed and many families having moved elsewhere. The court house was badly damaged during the conflict as well.
Reconstruction took several years and by the early 1870’s there was enough of a population that church leaders were asked to relocate from the court house. Meetings were held in school facilities , ca. 1874 to 1877, when history says that a Union Church was constructed on the corner of Water (now 7th Street) and Gravel, present day location of Cassville UMC.
In 1883, the Cassville Union Church Association formed and the building
served as a facility for the Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, and Christian Churches. By 1888 the Baptist and Methodist Episcopal had established their own facilites. 1898 saw the Presbyterians move out and the Christian Church left in 1902. In 1937, the Cassville church went from being a circuit congregation to being in charge of its own affairs. There was a brief time in the early 1960’s that it was a circuit church also. The Methodist Episcopal-South remained until 1939 when the Methodist Episocpal church merged back into the Methodist Church.
As mentioned earlier the building you see today originated in the 1870’s. In 1902 the Sanborn Fire Insurance Company map for Cassville shows the Union Church being a small wooden structure with a 12′ north facing steeple, having a stove for heat and oil lamps for lighting. During the 1920’s the entrance was changed to the northwest corner and faced west. The original ‘Methodist’ window from that era is displayed in the administrative office.
In 1952 a huge undertaking by church members added a basement under the sanctuary with most of the work being done by hand. During that same year a two story addition was added along the south side adding classrooms, downstairs fellowship hall and a pastors sudy. the lower picure is the church as it looked in 1952. In 1971, the santuary was expanded east allowing for more classrooms downstairs .
It was not until 1986 that future expanison occurred with the addition an educaiton wing which added 7 classrooms, nursery, full kitchen, large open fellowship hall and 4 additional bathrooms. Interesting note that until this time, the only 2 bathrooms were below the sanctuary. In 1993, the sancturay had a major redo as the entrance changed to the present day foyer, stained glass windows were exposed and entire sanctuary was reversed 180 degrees. The playground was added in 2006 when the Sonbeam Pre-school program started.
The United Methodist Church, of which we are part, was formed in 1968 by the unification of The Methodist Church and the Evangelical Brethren Church. The two parts of the flame in our logo represent each of these churches, unified into the single flame that represents the Holy Spirit. If you are interested in learning more about our heritage, we invite you to click here .
Some family names that were charter members include: Townsend, Ray, Pharis, Messer, LeCompte, Farwell, Burton and Hubbard. There are still direct decendents that attend, while other names appear on city street signs and are also found in written local history or on old maps.
History mentions an early Methodist Minister was in Cassville around 1852, last name of Sturdy or Stundz. Between those early days and the 1920’s informaiton is missing as to who was appointed on the circuit for the Methodist folks.
From the 1920’s to present day we have the following:
Rev. Campbell Early 1920’s
Rev. C.C. Cason 1927
Rev. Dillman Early 1930’s
Rev. Jack Burris 1935 – 1940
Rev. Perry Rowland 1940 – 1942
Rev. Herbert Hilme 1943 – 1949
Rev. Lee F. Soxman 1949 – 1953
Rev. N.M. Taylor 1954 – 1959
Rev. Floyd M. Holt 1959 – 1961
Rev. Roger Davis 1961 – 1966
Rev. Harold Hunter 1966 – 1972
Rev. Earl Knowles 1972 – 1976
Rev. Larry Kennard 1976 – 1980
Rev. Loren Wolfe 1980 – 1983
Rev. Roger Metscher 1983 – 1989
Rev. John C. Harp 1989 – 1992
Rev. Charles Reed 1992 – 1996
Rev. Michael Davidson 1996 – 2000
Rev. John Gregory 2000 – 2007
Rev. Lee Porch 2007 – 2011
Rev. Andy Lambel 2011 to 2019
Rev. Jeff Fugitt 2019 to present